- it is hurting someone
- your child, specifically, who should not be hurt by you of all people
- it doesnt work in the long term
- it develops trust issues
- it is reliant on fear, and teaches them to be afraid instead of actually learning what they did and how to self-discipline (i.e., “mommy spanked me when i tried crossing the road by myself, so i shouldn’t do it in front of her so i don’t get spanked” instead of “mommy told me i could get hurt if i cross the road by myself, so i won’t do it”)
- it asserts the ideology of stronger = right, and that because someone hurts you they are correct
- it shows that violence solves issues, which causes your child not only to normalize violence, but to partake in it
- it disregards bodily autonomy (as in people not touching you without your consent)
- it hurts their self-esteem, as well as affects their mental health, and their intelligence
- it becomes a gateway to harsher abuse due to desensitization
- it creates detachment of the parent/child bond
- it normalizes degrading and harmful behavior on the parent’s end
- it continues on the cycle of abuse
- it’s just overall shitty don’t hit someone, especially not someone who is smaller than you, defenseless, and VERY easily affected by it ok just don’t
I don’t think I’ll watch Sherlock S4 when it eventually comes out tbh because of that scene where John finds out his wife is a serial killer and they kind of pin it on him? Like what the hell was that “you attract these people” shit? Then when he was like, “Why is it always my fault?” instead of that being poignant and that line making everyone around him stop and think about their own actions they just kind of… laughed it off?
False rape accusations are an anomaly.
True rape accusations are a norm.
You’re, quite literally, more likely to be killed by a comet than falsely accused of rape.
Re-blog now, read later.
"Because 1 in 33 men will be raped in his lifetime, men are 82,000x more likely to be raped than falsely accused of rape. It seems many of us would do well to pay more attention to how rape culture affects us all than be paranoid about false accusers.”
wow The Onion is dropping a lot of truth for a work of satire
this is my fave bc his hair looks like a slicked down dunny brush
Robert Jensen (via internetexplorers)
FUCKING THANK YOU.
There are actually loads of conversations to have about the toxic sludge of the gender binary and the strict codifying of gender roles, expression, performance, and the rigid cultural enforcement of them. Which is absolute poison to all of us.
We need to have those conversations, there’s no doubt of that.
What we all need to understand first, though, is this:
All of the sociocultural norms, privilege the masculine. All of the sociocultural norms privilege the masculine. All of the sociocultural norms privilege the masculine.
Men DO have rights, opportunities, representation, and access to power.
Men, in fact, have an utterly DISPROPORTIONATE level of rights, opportunities, representation, and access to power.
The only right women have that is not subject to the whims and caprices of men in power, is the right to vote (in the US.)
The sociocultural norms that privilege the masculine, were created by men, are perpetuated by men, and are enforced by men.
You want greater range of gender expression without being devalued as a man, and that’s swell.
You’re going to have to stop the devaluing of the feminine to get it.
So what are you going to do, to ensure full equality for women and the destruction of the patriarchy?
Why haven’t you been doing it, unprompted?
if they’re not wearing one of these, don’t fuck them
I JST REMEMBERED MAKING THIS